Shelby Foote's "The Civil War: A Narrative"

I realize that the theme of World War II is "Central" to my blog; but several months back I got an itching to read a thorough account of the American Civil War.  I've always wanted to read Shelby Foote's 3 volume narrative of The Civil War; but being daunted by it's 3000 pages, I've always deferred.

Enter Audible.com...  Audible has been my commuting staple for the past year or so and suddenly 3000 pages didn't seem so daunting.  I just finished the last book (Volume 3) and all told, it was probably 150 hours of listening.  I paid $14.95 for each volume and it was well worth the price.  The narrator was excellent and the collection kept my keen interest from start to finish.

I have to admit that I never knew the American Civil War was so enthralling and diverse.  From the Ironclad naval battles to the long-odds cavalry raids of Nathan Bedford Forrest.  Shelby Foote does a great job at bringing out the personalities of the great Civil War leaders and figures of the time.  I've heard that being a Southerner himself, Foote tends to slant towards the Confederacy; but in my opinion this was not the case; I believe it was a fair and accurate account.  This was a nation defining struggle of immense proportions and I learned a great deal about it from these books.

The only drawback that I feel I've encountered over the past few months listening, is that I now have a nagging desire to paint some American Civil War miniatures and replicate The Army of the Potomac and The Army of Northern Virginia on an epic scale.  I might have to change the name of my blog to "ACW and WWII Central"  :)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can hear the crickets from here :(

    I am a huge fan of ACW. If you decide to paint up some 15mm's, AB makes a nice line of ACW figures

    http://www.eurekaminusa.com/catalog.aspx?c=American%20Civil%20War&cid=21&pageIndex=0

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...